Friday, August 1, 2008

The Growing Challenge....

I've decided to join in with Melinda's Growing Challenge.... The #1 rule of this challenge is to grow 1 additional type of fruit or vegetable from seed than you did last year.... Now for those that have never grown any fruit or veg before, ever, well that's OK, there's a huge support network over at Melinda's website for gardeners of all skill levels.... The aim of this challenge is to get people growing more fresh fruit and veg at home....
Isn't this a fantastic idea??? With the growing cost of living these days why not ease the pain by growing your own produce.... I've had a veggie patch for as long as I can remember and the flavour of your own home grow fruit and veg is AMAZING!!!!
This year I've decided to have a go at growing green squash from seed. I came across these fantastic Jiffy Pellets (or seed raising pots) at my local hardware shop the other day and just had to give some a go..For $5 you get about 24, that's pretty good value don't you think????

Seen as though my hands were already dirty from potting my seeds I decided to plant 1/2 a dozen of these trees (I bought them from here for $1.80 each for those interested) outside the boundary of the house yard.... It's a bottle-brush and is among the hardiest of Australian native trees. This is a must, the hardiness that is, for where I live. Our annual rain fall out here is usually only about 6 inches (which translates into VERY BLOODY DRY!!!!!) LOL!!! Once they're established they should have beautiful red flowers through the months of Spring which will be great for attracting birds.

In amongst all of this 'planting' yesterday afternoon I couldn't help but snap this shot of Fog (our dog) keeping an eye on a potty lamb for me.... All of the potty's are back out in the paddock now but still like to come and visit me at the house in the afternoons....

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and in some way or other manage to get your hands dirty... Take Care :)

10 comments:

  1. think I can do this........going to try and grow some of my seedling from seed this year also........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it count as growing my own if I claim the plants that come up b/c of birds/breeze?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My darling H threw out a whole bag of Jiffies I had in the shed when he did a clean up! Have to get more....

    ReplyDelete
  4. We grow a lot of veggies here too, but can't use the jiffy pots, in our cold climate, the netting doesn't dissove, causing obvious problems! The salmon hatchery my DH runs got 8 inches of rain on Sunday! 6 inches in a year is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea.... but another challenge just can't fit in my life at the moment. thanks for the tips though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh nothing better than home grown veggies eh? By the way, I have a little award for you on my blog, a nice fun one. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou for the link, I'm going to check it out! I would really like to grow some carrots from seed, so this might just be the thing to get me started.
    Melx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fab idea. I'm glad you highlighted those that have never grown anything before... ever. That would be me. Except for a few herbs, and watching my husband grow stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That last image is so fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In our old garden, we had a bottle brush tree that the hummingbirds absolutely LOVED. The first flower of the season, when all else was brown, was found instantly by the hummingbirds!

    Glad you've joined the challenge. If you have a chance, come check in this week here.

    ReplyDelete

Spring Seed Swap?

I had big plans of sharing a late Winter garden update with you all this post, full of beautiful pictures of Wintry produce such as peas (...